Hello there, Oceanside-Camp Pendleton. I’m here in your inbox this morning to tell you everything you need to know about what’s going on around town.
First, today’s weather:
Low clouds, then sun. High: 77 Low: 65.
Shoutout to the awesome local business that keeps this newsletter running:
Looking to build the kitchen or bath of your dreams? Dawn Leeser of Freedom Flooring & Interiors can help — stop in their showroom or call for a free design consultation. Awarded the Premier Business Award by the City of San Diego, Dawn will utilize the best materials available from cabinets, countertops, flooring, and hardware. Contact Dawn today for a free consultation at 760-607-2650, or visit Freedom Flooring & Interiors to learn more.
Want to see your business featured in this spot? Click here to get started.
Here are the top four stories in Oceanside-Camp Pendleton today:
- Oceanside is joining neighboring cities in the Clean Energy Alliance (CEA) a community choice energy (CCE) public entity currently serving the founding cities of Carlsbad, Del Mar and Solana Beach. Escondido, San Marcos and Vista are also projected to begin over the next two years. CEA offers an alternative to San Diego Gas & Electric with competitive prices and clean energy options while reinvesting revenues into projects and programs that benefit our members’ communities. The power options available to CEA customers include: Clean Impact: 50% renewable energy content, Clean Impact Plus: 50% renewable energy content and 75% carbon-free product, Green Impact: 100% renewable energy content, Personal Impact: Net Energy Metering (NEM) for those that generate their own solar or wind power. (Coast News)
- Three Oceanside students join the list of semifinalists in the 68th annual National Merit Scholarship Program, along with 200 students throughout San Diego County. Fewer than one percent of U.S. high school seniors are chosen as semifinalists in the prestigious competition. The students are competing for 7,250 scholarships worth nearly $28 million to be awarded in multiple rounds next spring and summer. These semifinalists must fulfill several requirements to advance to the finalist level of the competition. About 95 percent of the semifinalists are expected to attain finalist standing, and about half of them will go on to win a National Merit Scholarship. See the full list of local students. (Patch)
- A multi-agency sobriety checkpoint is planned for this weekend at an undisclosed location in Carlsbad. Today around 5 p.m., the California Highway Patrol and the Carlsbad Police Department will host the annual Officer Sean Nava and Officer Stephen Linen Memorial DUI Checkpoint and a site within the city, CHP Officer Hunter Gerber said. The checkpoint location was chosen to coincide with the October 2000 death of Nava, who was struck by an impaired driver on Interstate 5 in Carlsbad, and the August 2001 death of Linen, who was struck by an impaired driver during an enforcement stop on the same freeway in Encinitas. (Times of San Diego)
- Sunny’s Spa and Beauty Lounge, located at The Seabird Resort in Oceanside was voted Number 2 in the 10 best hotel spas. To find the best across the United States, 10Best asked a panel of experts to pick the initial 20 nominees. Then, the 10 best hotel spas were ranked by readers’ votes. Escape and enjoy a twist on wellbeing, beauty, and holistic “soul care” with a visit to Sunny’s Spa & Beauty Lounge. This retreat offers majestic California ocean views and the sounds of rolling waves as guests explore treatments in their light-filled rooms. Experience saunas, aromatherapy, facials, body scrubs, massages, sound baths, reflexology therapy and more. (10Best)
Today in Oceanside-Camp Pendleton:
- Sports Team Jersey Day – Oceanside High (All day)
- Club Rush at lunch – Mission Vista High (12:07 p.m.)
- JV/V Football v. Torrey Pines: Youth Night (4:30 p.m.)
- Girls Frosh/Soph, JV & V Volleyball v. Mission Hills HS @ Away (4:30 p.m.)
- Fall Coffee House – Mission Vista High (6:37 p.m.)
From my notebook:
- Visit Oceanside: “Hey O’side, what are you doing this weekend? 🏄♀️⛵ Click the link in our bio 👆🔗 to learn how you can catch a ride on the gO’side shuttles to all of the rad events happening! 🚌 – - – - - - - - - - - -…” (Visit Oceanside via Instagram)
- City of Oceanside Public Library: “Our amazing staff member Isabel DeAnda was recognized and honored at last night’s City Council Meeting during the Hispanic Heritage Month Proclamation by the Mayor, alongside several other great leaders in the community. Congratulations.” (City of Oceanside Public Library via Facebook)
- City of Oceanside – Government: “Measure X has been making a big impact in Oceanside. From historic investments in modern new facilities, improved infrastructure, enhanced public safety, and changing the lives of Oceanside residents — see your tax dollars at work!” (City of Oceanside – Government via Facebook)
- Oceanside Chamber: “Harbor Days is 2 Days Away! This year’s Beer & Wine Garden will be open from 10:30 a.m. – 5 p.m. both days and will feature six local breweries and wineries as well as two local food vendors!! Come grab a drink and listen to live music.” (Oceanside Chamber via Instagram)
- MCCS Camp Pendleton: “If you missed the Eric Weddle talk on Rest and Recovery at the Base Theater on Tue, you can catch it here.” (MCCS Camp Pendleton via Facebook)
- MCCS Camp Pendleton – Libraries: “Guess what?! The Camp Pendleton Libraries will host a Hispanic Heritage Art Contest over the next couple weeks! All ages are welcome to drop off their creations to any library branch, then library staff will photograph your masterpiece.” (MCCS Camp Pendleton – Libraries via Facebook)
More from our sponsors — thanks for supporting local news!
- Oceanside Adventures – Daily, Year-Round Whale and Dolphin Tours — (Visit website)
- Institute of Healthcare – Become an EMT in just 4 – 8 weeks — (Visit Website)
Stranded in O’side: Oceanside Photo Of The Day
- SoCal Chicano Beer & Music Fest | Day 1 | With The B-Side Players + Still Ill Morrissey & Smiths Tri (September 16)
- Chicano Beer & Music Fest | Day 2 | With Pachuco Jose Y Los Diamantes, The Sleepwalkers & More (September 17)
- Summer Outdoor Water Fun at NorthCoastUMC.org (September 18)
- Five Smart Strategies to live with Inflation Webinar (September 21)
- Cowboy Jubilee on the Santa Rosa Plateau (September 24)
- Murder Mystery Weekend (October 14)
- Stonehouse 3rd Annual Rooted in Nature Craft Brew Festival (October 15)
- Add your event
You’re all caught up for today! I’ll see you soon.
— Lisa Frost
About me: I am the Community Publisher for the Oceanside-Camp Pendleton Patch and love sharing all things Oceanside. It’s a privilege to help locals and those visiting our incredible and diverse city stay informed about local news, people, and the stories that shape our community. Explore all that Patch has to offer Oceansider’s:
Questions? Concerns? Comments? You have my full attention at [email protected].
Have a news tip or suggestion for an upcoming Oceanside-Camp Pendleton Daily? Contact me at [email protected]